Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Stillness on the Road

My workplace is considerably far. I spend about two hours on the road, on a public bus, every weekday. During this time, I do a couple of things - read the papers, take a catnap, use the phone, think, fantasize - but most often I listen to music, body and mind still and idle, and gaze at the moving scenery. Contrary to the preference of most people, I don't really dread the locomotion because it gives time to float the weight off my psyche, fill the fissures in my temperament and raise the sensitivities of my intuition. This I believe, is close to what some spirituality-inclined folks regard as the benefits of meditation - a purported enrichment and healing of the soul. It is also close to what some 'people' (for the lack of a better description) like to call 'personal space' - an escape from the unnecessary drama and futile bustle of modern life. I convulse at the use of either terms, meditation or personal space, because one is so 'urgh' (fuddy-duddy? uncool? what!?) and the other is so 'bahh' (emo? corny? what!?). In any case, words are just words and terms terms. The point is that such a still-locomotive 'therapy' (boy, I am on a roll for word loss) is really 'good' (vocab hemorrhage). I refer back to the title, which captures all I really want to say.

No comments: